The process of managing water discharges from surface and/or subsurface agricultural drainage systems.
Benefits of Conservation Drainage:
- Reduce nutrient, pathogen, and/or pesticide loading from drainage systems into downstream receiving waters
- Improve productivity, health, and vigor of plants
- Reduce oxidation of organic matter in soils
- Reduce wind erosion or particulate matter (dust) emissions
- Provide seasonal wildlife habitat
(photo courtesy of BWSR)
A good overview about conservation drainage.
The Stearns County SWCD, partnering with the NRCS, can help producers with technical assistance and funding for this practice. Financial assistance may be available through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) which is administered by the NRCS.
For more information, or if you want to schedule an appointment, contact:
Stearns County SWCD
Phone: 320-251-7800, Extension 3